Re: [TenTec] Darth Vader sounds

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Darth Vader sounds
From: Kevin Purcell <kevinpurcell@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 13:29:44 -0700
This is a very good point. I think it's mentioned in the manual too!

On my Argosy in a high RF environment (multiple TV TXs within 1 mile)
you can hear the 60Hz frame buzz with volume just off zero when
wearing headphones but it drops off rapidly when you turn up the
volume (and the real signal takes over).

Are there any pre-made adaptors out there? Seems like a mono to
stereo adaptor with a built in resistor would be one less bit to loose.

On Apr 27, 2007, at 12:21 PM, wa3fiy@radioadv.com wrote:

> Probably a case of WAY too much headphone sensitivity.  Many audio
> problems can be minimized by adjusting headphone sensitivity such
> that you
> have comfortable audio level in the 'phones with the volume control at
> around 12:00 position.  Low impedance phones driven by the low
> impedance unattenuated output of the Argosy usually require volume
> settings just a little higher than full off.  Not good!
>
> This is not unique to the Argosy by the way.  Any audio device that
> delivers
> low impedance unattenuated output from a power stage to low impedance
> 'phones will have a poor signal to noise ratio.
>
> You can reduce headphone sensitivity by putting a 220 ohm to 470 ohm
> resistor in series with your phones.  Use a 1/4 watt resistor and
> solder inside
> the phone plug.
>
> 73,
>
> -Lee-
>
> WA3FIY
>

> On 27 Apr 2007 at 12:20, larry sorrow wrote:
>
>> No response from my previous post. Maybe it got caught up in the
>> mix. I own an Argosy II. When I xmit in SSB, I hear myself in the
>> headphones (Kenwood HS-5) I hear myself in the headphones and it
>> sounds like Darth Vader from Star Wars. Anyone with any ideas of
>> what's causing this?
>> 73
>> Larry KE4ITN
>

> --