Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 53, Issue 35

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 53, Issue 35
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 12:13:25 -1000
Hi Jim,

Connecting up the Omni VI, Hercules II and 253 autotuner (I presume,
because that is the only Ten-Tec autotuner I know of) according to the
Ten-Tec manuals ought to work, with no damage to any of the gear. It is
all designed to work together. Unfortunately though, it may not.

The instructions tell you to connect the keying loop through the Exciter
In and Exciter Out jacks on the 253. This allows the 253 to disable the
exciter RF output in the event of a fault condition (determined by the
tuner). This sounds like a good idea, however the relay that breaks the
keying loop, K6 is on the same PC board as the SWR bridge, and easily
gets RF coupled into the keying loop. This resulted in a keying lockup
at my station, an exactly opposite condition from what the circuit is
trying to accomplish. There was no permanent damage. The keying output
transistor was not blown, nor were any other parts. Yet I could connect
the keying loop through the 253 as shown in the documentation.

Someday I intend to fix this problem. Haven't go a round tuit yet.

N6KB