[TenTec] Lightning Strike

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Lightning Strike
From: "Jack Emerson" <w4tje@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 10:54:50 -0400
My station suffered a lightning strike this week. The Orion 2 will have to go
back to the shop unless someone can help me solve the problem. The radio comes
on in transmit. Pulling the amp keying lines out of the jacks puts it back in
receive. But then it won't go back into transmit. The only way to make it
switch from transmit to receive is by toggling the keying loop on/off in the
menu system. Master reset didn't help.
So it looks like it will have to be shipped. My big problem however, is that
the strike knocked out my main antenna rotor. This is where any advice/opinions
would be even more welcome, because I'm sitting here scratching my head trying
to figure out how to attack this problem. The rotor is the M2 Orion 2800, which
has been up since last November. I bought it because I needed a heavy duty
rotor to handle the load of a very large yagi mounted on top of the blue ridge.
From that standpoint, it has handled the high winds here fine. But frankly,
it's just very complicated to use, and I am too often having to re-calibrate
it. I need a rotor that is capable of holding up to these winds, but I want one
that is simple to use. I don't need or want one that is tied in to my computer.
I just want a rotor that will hold my antenna when the wind blows. And it does
blow hard here. So any of you please e-mail me here or direct and give your 2
cents on recommendations for a heavy duty rotor t
 hat is simple to use. At my old QTH, I found my yaesu gdx 1000 rotor very
capable, and it was simple enough to use. Anyone using the larger yaesu rotor?
73 de Jack W4TJE

Jack Emerson
w4tje@earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.