[TenTec] ORION II and microphone

To: <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] ORION II and microphone
From: "Brad Johnson" <aa5ch@suddenlink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:32:35 -0500
Hallo Wolfgang.

I had very good results with the Heil / Ten Tec Studio One mic. It is no
longer manufactured but there are some still around. I think that WB0W may
have bought all of the remaining stock of those. I also tried a Heil headset
with the HC5 element and it worked very well.

My friends and I are somewhat picky about our SSB TX audio and the consensus
was that the Orion II with the Studio One Mic sounded better than my Icom
7800 with a Marshall condenser mic, tube preamp, and EQ.

There is enough adjustment available in the Orion's menus to make any decent
mic sound good, IMO. I would recommend that you get a mic with as flat as
response as possible so you will have the greatest flexibility with the
Orion's menu settings.

73,

Brad
AA5CH