Re: [TenTec] ORION II and microphone

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION II and microphone
From: "philip c anderson" <flypca@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:01:46 -0400
Hi Wolfgang,
I do not believe that there is any special microphone for a particular radio. Since Jan. of 1996 I used a Radio Shack unidirectional dynamic mic on my Collins KWM 380. Cost $19.88. I always got good to excellent audio reports using this mic. Of course Collins always had the best audio.
When I first got the Orion, I wired up a Kenwood MC-60 that I have on hand for the TS-2000. I got real good reports with this combination. Just for giggles I decided to try the cheap mic on the Oll.
I did not change any of the audio settings I used on the MC-60, just had to raise the gain a little.
You guessed it, reports are as good as with the MC-60.
I think that some mic manufactures are just real good salesman.
Point of this is if you want to spend a $100+ for a mic,do it or find one that still does the job.

73 Andy W3LI