Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Customer Service

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Customer Service
From: "Rick, NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 23:27:16 -0500
Well is "ain't" just their repair service, guys.  Sales too!

In 1998, I was preparing to go to Vienna to activate 4U1VIC during the CQWW
CW contest.  One week before the contest I got a phone call from John, the
station custodian there, who asked me not to bring my big linear (2x 3-500z)
to the site.   Hmmmmm.

For those of you who do not know, the ham shack in the UN building there
sits on the top floor, one floor above UNSCom (UN Special Commission) for
IAEA (Int. Atomic Energy Agency), the group controlling the nuclear
inspections in IRAQ, etc.  That was just the time tension in Iraq was
building and the inspectors got thrown out.

A previous contest expedition to 4U1VIC had run a "healthy" Kilowatt and set
off the alarms, causing a SWAT team to ascend upon the floor where the UN
inspectors have their offices.  As a result, high power linears got
outlawed.

I negotiated permission to run a 500w linear, but where do you find one in a
hurry?  I called all dealers in Germany and nobody could deliver.

So I called Ten-Tec, and spoke with Scott.  This was now Monday evening (in
Germany) and morning in TN.  Scott immediately shipped me a Centaur.  It
arrived on Thursday, just 3 days after placing the phone call, and I took it
with me when I drove to Vienna on Friday.  We ran our 500w and never set of
the alarms.  Thanks Ten-Tec!

Their sales is not bad either, huh?

73
Rick