Re: [TenTec] Lightning Strike Results...

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Lightning Strike Results...
From: Randy Hargenrader <k4qo@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:36:27 -0400
Sorry for your loss!   In my line of business, we have found that
lightning strikes/surges generally produce a  long list of  "latent
failures" and you would be forever repairing your radio.  A latent
failure is a problem waiting to happen inside all manner of integrated
circuits where the minute traces in the IC are stressed by the surges
but not yet fused (opened) apart.  Eventually normal operation will
consume them one by one until you have replaced all the IC's that have
been stressed...  not fun in my book!  As soon as I saw one IC with the
top blown off, it would have been a scrapper.

Re: Autotuner.  I have both the LDG and the TenTec models and like the
TT one the best.  The memories in the LDG seemed to get in the way and
weren't really all that useful to me.  BTW, the TT tuner looks like it
has the capability being interfaced better to the Orion and provide
memories and remember band settings, etc... if the gang at TT felt like
doing that bit of programming.  I won't be holding my breath for that -
just an observation.

73,
Randy
K4QO