Re: [TenTec] Omni VII

To: 'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment' <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VII
From: Art Searle W2NRA <w2nra@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:45:37 -0400
Hi Grant,

That is a tough question you ask.  The Omni VI is a great radio.  I have
owned the Omni VI (some time ago) and I do own the Omni VII.  I would say,
yes, it is worth the upgrade.  Have you read the test report in QST?  This
report includes great specs and the narrative explains in some detail the
finer points of this radio.  It does have extremely smooth CW.  They
describe the CW wave form as "perfect."  The phone TX audio is great.  The
receiver is quiet.  AM reception is excellent.  It has FM.  BTW the article
claims the Omni VII doesn't have a squelch.  It does, and it is all mode.

I've used the rig in 3 contests, 1 CW and 2 RTTY, and the rig performed
flawlessly.  One of the contests was the WPX CW.  The bands were really
crowded.  I experienced no receiver blocking.  My previous rig was the Yaesu
FT1000mp MrkV Field.  I always noticed blocking in some parts of the bands
at contest peaks in the really big contests. The Omni VII's receiver is
quieter and it hears better than the Yaesu.

Have you check out the test data at Sherwood Engineering?
http://www.sherweng.com/table.html
Among currently produced rigs the Omni VII places 2nd!!! Just ahead of the
Icom 7800, Elecraft K2, and Omni VI+.

73 Art W2NRA
"Keep to the code!"
w2nra.com