Re: [TenTec] [Orion] "Technical Correspondence", August 2007 issue

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Orion] "Technical Correspondence", August 2007 issue
From: Kevin Purcell <kevinpurcell@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:47:12 -0700
Grant,

One comment this: Frank was "promoting" or clarifying the difference
between a general purpose SDR system and a DSP-based radio.

The SDR system he has written free software (i.e. GPLed not mere
freeware) Dtts which also FlexRadio happens to use. But other people
use it on other hardware (as he mentions in his letter). So hardly
marketing for a commercial product. You can get the builds and the
source here.

<http://dttsp.sourceforge.net/>

I thought it was valid technical correspondence making a valid point.

I've wondered if TT has considered the open-source route for software
development on their hardware to allow more community participation.
After all do they make money on selling software or hardware?

And I got to agree with Rob's comments below too.

Kevin Purcell
kevinpurcell@pobox.com