[TenTec] re Oh?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] re Oh?
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 19:38:00 +0000
I wish to thank Dan for a rational laying out of the facts.

I knew my original comment in which I merely made the point that there are, in my opinion, better and less expensive options out there than what Ten Tec has to offer in the amplifier line would not go over well with the fanatics but I believe all opinions should be aired because everyone has a right to hear all sides before making a purchase.

If Ten Tec would resolve the plate transformer problem in the Centurion, it would be a fine albeit overpriced amp.

We can go on at length all day and night about copper, Centurion weight, xformer weight, power supply designs blah blah blah but none of this changes two things: There is a problem with the stock plate transformer in the Centurion and the stock supply under load delivers what is to me, an unacceptably low plate v. for an amp that is going to cost $3200. The result is such that it is almost not a stretch to say you may as well save $2000 and get an AL80B.

Now, if Ten Tec can get $3200 for it good for them. They aren't the dummies. If you got your Centurion back when they were around $1700 or $2000 like I did good for you. If you are in the market for an amp, take a look around. Consider all the possibilities, one being a used Centurion with the Dahl plate transformer which you would have to buy separately and put in. Then like Dan, me and a few others, you would have a bit higher Ep but more important, a reliable p.s. Now, that wasn't such baaaaad Ten Tec bashing was it?

73,

rob / k5uj