Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 56, Issue 11

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 56, Issue 11
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 09:20:00 -0600
On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 21:20 -0500, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
> And using a bridge such as one of the MFJ's or Autec's will tell more about
> the bandwidth and Q of the network and serve to keep QRM off of the air and
> make transistors in the PA last a lot longer.
>
> I much prefer the L type network over the Pi or T for the network.  The L
> will have typically only one place that the match is good and that place it
> the lowest loss configuration.

But that one place can be harder to find and with the most reactive of
load impedances that one place may not be within the range of available
L and C components.

> Then too the old Johnson Matchbox is the daddy of matching devices for
> balanced feed systems.

Actually there were home made link coupled series/parallel tuned tuners
for decades before the Matchbox that always had a wider load impedance
tolerance. Compared to a Matchbox, my link couple tuners tune more
situations. Perhaps not as conveniently from changing coil taps with
alligator clips.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,