Re: [TenTec] Hooking up two or more ten tec radios.. thesaga continues..

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hooking up two or more ten tec radios.. thesaga continues..
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 21:59:18 -0600
On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 17:37 -0400, Mike Bryce wrote:
> Egads...what a day I have had.
>
> all i wanted was a simple db-9 cable..

Technically its a DE-9. The B shell is for 25 pins, the E shell is for 9
pins regular density or 15 pins high density as used for SVGA monitors.
What you probably wanted is a straight computer to modem 9 pin to 9 pin
cable which can also be an extension cable.

> Went to:
>
> Wallmart...
> Radio shack ... you have questions? We have plank stares!
> Circuit city....a what?
> Best buys.... out of them and no longer being stocked

Worst Buy does seem to want to push the state of serial ports and floppy
drives out of their thoughts.

> Office Max....Did not even have a clue what I wanted
>

> Ended up at bob's used computers to find one.
>
> Not even thinking of trying to find a db-9 serial switch...
>
> Got a usb to serial adapter too...
>
> So.. downloaded the gui interface for the rx320 from ten tec.
>
> guess what? The usb serial adapter automatically adjusts the com
> ports. so the usb adapter is now com 5. great! The ten tec software
> only goes to com4!
>
> oh.. it gets better..
>
> If I unplug the com1 serial port, the computer reconfigures the usb
> port to com2.
>
> found out that everytime i shut down and reboot, I get new and
> different com ports for the usb adapters.
>
> Downloaded callsign software for the rx320..
>
> can't get it boot up.. a fatal error occurs... can't get any response
> to my emails for help..there's no phone number to call.
>
> Sure picked a hell of day to stop taking xanax..
>
> mike
>

> Mike, WB8VGE
> SunLight Energy Systems
> The Heathkit Shop
> http://www.theheathkitshop.com/
> J e e p
> o|||||||o
> Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a
> large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

73, Jerry, K0CQ