Re: [TenTec] Orion II DOA

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II DOA
From: Kevin Purcell <kevinpurcell@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:36:30 -0700
I don't know about this particular part on this particular board but
I've done a similar fix for the original Apple Airport. It had badly
ventilated case and runs hot but they didn't use a low ESR high temp
cap for power supply smoothing. It would fail with clockwork
regularity after 18 months of operation.

The problem was the same value and rating low ESR cap wouldn't fit in
the space.

If the space is critical consider downrating either the capacitance
or the voltage rating (assuming its overspeced on the latter).

In that case downrating the max voltage (it was a overspeced) to a
"closer than one would like but still in the rating" value got a cap
that would fit in the space.

--
73 DE N7WIM / G8UDP
Kevin Purcell