Re: [TenTec] ten tec radios and amps

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ten tec radios and amps
From: RaySoifer@cs.com
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 14:10:43 EDT
foxbat426@hotmail.com writes:
> ust wondering if ten tec radios can be used with any type linear amplifier
> solid state or tube? unlike the japanese radios, ten tec seems to do things
> a little different - so i was just wondering about this. thank-you again for
>
> all the great expert advise - i would be lost if it wasn't for this great
> site.

Well, it depends on the specific radio and amp.  As I mentioned yesterday,
the Argo V has no provision for amp control, so unless you're interested in
making mods (count me out of that), you'll need an amp like the HL-100Bdx that
uses RF switching.

I also have an Orion II, and it is interfaced to two amps: a Collins 30L-1
and an Ameritron AL-811.  The AL-811 interface requires only a relay-control
line, but the switching voltage on the 30L-1 is too high for the Orion so I use
an Ameritron ARB-704 interface box between the two.  Both amps work great with
the Orion II.

I have not attempted to make either amp do QSK, since that is not high on my
currennot t list of priorities.  But as I recall, your interest is mostly SSB
so it probably isn't high on your list either.

I'm sure others will have more to contribute.

GL & 73,

Ray W2RS