Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 57, Issue 16

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 57, Issue 16
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:09:02 EDT

In a message dated 9/11/2007 9:01:20 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
tentec-request@contesting.com writes:

Good  tuners, that will work on 80 and 160, will by necessity, consist of
at  least (1) large, expensive, roller inductor, and at least (1) large,
expensive, variable capacitor.

Really good tuners may even use  vacuum-variables, and possibly expensive
relays and/or band  switches.

=======================================

I disagree, depending on what you are doing. I have an old Denton AT 2000
and it will tune a pair of socks at legal limit. also the Denton at 3000 is the

same with meters. I use a LDG AT1000 for the Pegasus/ als600 setup, and an
Icom  AT500 for the 746pro/ IC 2-KL setup.

I run the Orion into a 3 ele steppir which autotunes to the radio, and the
the gap voyager for low bands is not to be used with a tuner, but it is fairly
broad banded. so the Orion/ alpha 87a goes direct to the steppir/ gap setup
with  no tuner. It is so nice to go search and pounce and not have to tune a
thing..  every thing tunes automatically from the logger program/ radio set.

I like it.

for a remote station, like say an omni VII, you could use it with an alpha
and a steppir remote and do just fine.

YMMV  tom N6AJR