Re: [TenTec] PA current control

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] PA current control
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 22:36:04 -0500
The control of PA current is derived from a R in the A+ line to the PA.  The
voltage across the R is fed to the 2nd mixer board and driver which reduces
drive inverse to the PA current.  The current never gets to max
destruction value.

Having a Paragon manual in front of me, the current sensing R is R1 {0.015
ohm 10W} located on the DC power board.  This voltage is fed to U2a which is
a level shifter and its output  feeds U2b to which the output if it exceeds
the Ic limit of 22 amps at full power, diode D25 is forward biased and ALC
actions results, therefore reducing drive to the PA stage.  Thus PA current
will always be limited to a max of 22 amps for some 300 watts input
regardless of load Z.  Yes, in theory, it will drive a dead short with rated
output.  Remember the Tentec PA is not current limited.  It is drive
limited.

The fuse, the circuit breaker and power supply limiting serve no purpose
except
in the event of catastrophic failure and thus exists simply for the
protection of
other components.

Big difference.

73