Re: [TenTec] paragon or paragon II - what would you choose?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] paragon or paragon II - what would you choose?
From: <waltk8cv4612amos@att.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 10:43:17 -0400
Wow, thanks, you told me more than I knew about my Paragon ! Yeah, mine is a
very early one. Had to send it back for stenciling ( on the inside ) and
front panel replacement as the lettering on the little black buttons all
came off :-( but they fixed it under warranty and for an additional $90 put
in a different optical chopper, the one from the then in production Omni V
and it does NOT wibbly / wobbly like the original but has a very nice solid
feel. Yep, eventually my PLL board failed and they said " remove it an
re-solder all you can reach on the bottom " I did that and it has run like
new ever since. I do have the Giehl chip and the first one killed the back
up battery in a couple of days , I bitched, he said " send it back " I did.
He called and said he had a bad bunch of chips and would I like a real CMOS
chip and I said yes and it has behaved like advertised ever since. Wore out
the reed relays eventually and that is a bear of a job to replace but it is
done and back running again. That radio has the best SWL audio I ever heard,
even better than my Drake SW8 :-)

Walt K8CV Royal Oak, MI.