Re: [TenTec] reduce RF Gain on a Scout?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] reduce RF Gain on a Scout?
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@gti.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:54:55 -0400
That would be me, but I took the mod out because I wanted to use
different mics and I wanted the Scout to work more like its original
condition. Since then I've been considering other ideas for reducing the
gain. I don't want to drill holes or give up any of the rear panel
functions. A variable gain isn't really necessary. I just want to reduce
the gain by about 30 dB on 80 meters to knock the QRN down to a level
below the AGC threshold. The same circuit will work fine with a tiny
trim pot and a switch. Now, where to hide the switch? Maybe run a piece
of heavy bus wire through the rivet hole in the rear panel and use it as
a pushrod to operate a miniature slide switch inside the radio. Could be
mechanically messy. I think that what I will try is putting the circuit
inside the 80 and 40 meter band modules. A miniature trim pot and slide
switch can be epoxied to the mixer/oscillator board. To switch to low
gain mode, pull out the band module, flip the switch and plug it in
again. Again, no holes to drill, though if one wanted to, a hole for a
sub-mini toggle switch would fit on the front of the band module. There
is one spare pin on the band module that can be used to bring out the
voltage to bias the I.F. amps. The original circuit, which was based on
an Argosy service bulletin needs only a pot, fixed resistor and a diode,
if I remember correctly. I plan to try this mod as described above, "soon".

                        73,

                        Bob WB2VUF