Re: [TenTec] Cooling an Omni VI?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Cooling an Omni VI?
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 15:59:21 -0500
I've found that issues which require cooling are really heat from the PA
heatsink just generally heating the radio on the inside.  My solution was to
put a small fan blowing on the heatsink at the rear.  I used a 3"  12V DC
fan plugged into the 12V AUX jack on the rear.  The fan was mounted using a
couple of "L" brackets using the mounting holes on the fan and the free end
of the "L" bracket was tucked between the heat sink and top cover.  There's
enough space with a little effort to make it work and no holes were required
to be drilled anywhere.

This cooled the heatsink down adequately, when using PSK or RTTY modes, such
that the internal temp of the radio was kept down.  This then eliminated the
typical BFO drift often associated with the Omni VI and VI Plus series.  The
later Plus series used a TXCO for the master osc but the BFO rocks were not
temp compensated and were known to move a bit as the temperature was
elevated inside the cabinet.

Hope this helps.

73
Bob, K4TAX