[TenTec] Omni VII Temperature Control

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VII Temperature Control
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 17:23:18 -0500
While running PSK 31 last evening I experienced a transmitter shut down 2 or 3
times during transmission for no explained reason.  The Omni VII simply went
back to receive.  Yep, the rear heat sink was hot.  Power out in the PSK mode
was about 40 to 50 watts.  Power supply shutdown did not occur.  DC voltage
stayed at 13.8 V and current was below 14 amps, signal from the computer to the
radio was present.  OK so I'm long winded.  Today on SSB normal operation and
output was observed.  Haven't been back on PSK.

Is there a high temperature TX shutdown in the radio?  Didn't find anything
about it in the book.  I do know there is a "High Current" shutdown in the
radio but this will completely shut the radio down requiring one to turn off
the POWER and then back on to reset the internal SCR.  Perhaps I'll call TT on
Monday and ask.

73
Bob, K4TAX