Re: [TenTec] SB-220 Tubes and QSK

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SB-220 Tubes and QSK
From: "Rob Atkinson" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:41:44 -0500
Hi Jerry,

It's not about dBs; it's about paying your money and expecting a
certain level of performance and having the product deliver that.  You
don't _have_ to run it flat out, but in the case of amps, (as I've
said before) If I pay X thousand dollars for a 1.5 kw amp, I damn well
had better be getting one that can put out 1.5 kw, a.k.a. If I'd
wanted a 1 kw amp, that's what I would have bought.

Now, here we have some poor fella who got a pair of RF Parts 3-500Zs
and he's got some pleasure from the fact that they put out 20% more
goo than his old tubes and you have to pour cold water on him.  Don't
you feel great?

I won't get into the other business of how his 20% power increase
helps counter other system losses in feedlines, tank circuits and
ground loss and how it all adds up.  You're the engineer; I'm sure you
know it all already.

By the way, no 50 Kw AM broadcast station runs a vacuum tube primary
anymore.  They've all been running solid state harris and nautels for
years.  some don't even have tube backups.   In fact, no u.s. radio
broadcast station of any type runs tubes unless they can't afford a
new tx.   The solid state rigs pay for themselves in a few years of
operation.   You can get a new solid state 250 w. AM for about what an
Icom Pro III costs.  About the size of a flie cabinet drawer, it'll
sit there in a rack and hum along for years.   The only problem at the
tx site these days is crack heads pulling up the radials to sell for
scrap copper and yahoos shooting out the tower lamps.

73,

rob / k5uj