Re: [TenTec] Omni VI and non TT Amp

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI and non TT Amp
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:40:21 -0600
On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 04:25 -0700, Dennis OConnor wrote:
> As my buddy Ed says, "I don't use ALC because my momma didn't raise no
> stoopid children."
>   ALC is just a deliberate method of wave form distortion leading to
> splatter...
>   As Teddy said right after the charge up the hill at San Juan, "Talk soft
> and carry a big amp!"
>
>   cheers
>

> denny / k8do

A good working ALC does not distort the waveform to cause splatter.
Properly set and driven ALC lowers the gain of the driver to keep the PA
in its linear region thereby preventing splatter. Bad ALC with too much
delay does allow the PA to be over driven. Good ALC then gets the
maximum talk power out of the system by keeping the drive up on the PA
without over driving it changing the gain at a syllabic or slower rate
accommodating the varying outputs of the operator's voice at varying
spacings to the microphone. Running without ALC you will distort when
you get closer to the microphone or get excited or your pet bites you.

Running a transmitter without ALC is like running a receiver without
AVC.

73, Jerry, K0CQ