[TenTec] Amps

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Amps
From: cx7tt@4email.net
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 00:58:20 +0400
I certainly agree that the Command/QRO/TT amps are all fine amps and one
consideration for those of us who live 'off shore' is the
microprocessors inherent in many of the really nice amps. I currently
own an Acom 1000 which has been a FB amp for 3 years but suddenly with a
loud 'POP' quit working as it was sitting idleing while awaiting the
showing of 3B7C on 20m one morning. Error codes were rampant on the
display which was all gibberish to me so I contacted the home office in
the US. They requested that I send the lines of error codes for
deciphering and/or troubleshooting. Well, I did that and they
acknowledged receipt. That was on 24 Sept; still no answer as to what's
the problem after several unanswered emails. If I could fix it myself, I
would. Otherwise it's taking the pelican case with the Acom 1000 as
checked baggage to MIA ($50 charge for over 70#) then shipping via
UPS/Fedex to Acom USA. And return....$$$ plus the charge for the amp
being out of warranty.
So, even though Command and QRO may be one man shows, at least their
products are simply 'an amp' so anybody can fix the product without
having a PHD from Microsoft. For those of us who live outside the US,
simplicity is a virture. When in doubt, just go basic! I own an O II and
if it 'coughs' I know it will be making a trip to TN  whereas my K2
(built by me) can be repaired by me.
Nice thread though & GL with your choices.
73
Tom
CX7TT
P.S. My 'backup' amp is a Collins 30L-1. Bought used in 1987 for $450
and still putting out 600+ watts. It still cant be beat on $$$ vs Value!
Ah, if it only had 160 and 6m...