Re: [TenTec] OT: RFI from Plasma TV?

To: "TenTec List" <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: RFI from Plasma TV?
From: "Rick Williams" <rick.williams@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:49:31 -0800
Bernie I own a Panasonic 50 inch plasma and the short answer is yes.  Just
yesterday I received the message below from Panasonic (Canada).  I have
already installed a large torroid on the power cord (the stock cord IS
shielded with a built it torroid and my added torroid with 8-turns of the
power cord seemed to do nothing), an excellent surge protector (that seemed
to make things worse), put the TV on another circuit and the rest of course
is chaff thrown up by the manufacturer (the GND system meets current codes
and the plug is wired correctly).  The change of circuit DID help somewhat.
The noise introduced by the TV on certain frequencies on the 80 metre band
is approximately 2 S-units (i.e. significant) and similar on selected
frequencies on 20 and other bands.  So it's all over the place on all the
bands I work with all the antennas I use.

I put every split choke I own on the power line along with the large wound
torroid with no change.

The TV has a built-in EMI filter at the plug (I can see it through the vent
holes) so placing an additional Corcom filter in series seemed to make
things worse.  Finally, I have a large isolation transformer, currently
serving as a doorstop in the shack, that will be installed later to see if
it helps.

>From the Panasonic note they seem convinced that the power cord is
radiating.  My fear is that the plasma design itself is the source of the
interference and that will be significantly more difficult, if not
impossible, to resolve.

73,

Rick
VE7TK