Re: [TenTec] Corsair II PTO Problems

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II PTO Problems
From: Kevin Purcell <kevinpurcell@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:45:41 -0800
The Paragon (I and II) used a "normal" 4 octave PLL synthesized LO
(with all the usual problems of increased phased noise) to get GC
coverage.

The Omni V (and VI) on the other hand used a narrow range VHF VCO
(198.2 to 221.2MHz with 400Hz steps divided by 40 to get 4.97 - 5.53
MHz in 10Hz steps) PLL synthesized VFO (to reduce phase noise) that
was then mixed with crystal generated to generate the LO. Rather like
the PTO + XO LO generation in the earlier Omnis, Corsairs, Argosies,
Deltas, etc. This reduced the phase noise in the LO.

Sherwood measured the phase noise of the Omni V as -134dBc at 10kHz
from the carrier. The ARRL review the Omni V (composite) noise
spectrum is very flat (and actually a bit higher than the Sherwood
number if my eyeballing the SA display is right). The Paragon is much
more sloped (though the ARRL review scan you can't see the SA
fiducial marks).

There are other differences too (e.g. see this link)

<http://tentecwiki.org/doku.php?id=563>

> The phase noise performance of the Omni-VI vs. Paragon II is -20db
> better as well.

I think this is at close separations around 2kHz.

--
Kevin Purcell
kevinpurcell@pobox.com