Re: [TenTec] List Abbreviations

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] List Abbreviations
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:40:12 -0600
On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 00:10 -0500, DAVID HELLER wrote:
> I've got to remember that long comma bit - though a bit difficult with a
> keyer --

Just fine with a Vibroplex though.

>  that old commercial system with the first-second-third phone and
> first-second-third CW and AT(aircraft telegrapher with 25 wpm) wasn't bad.
> I too found the phone and second CW licenses no worse than the amateur tests
> of  the time.
> These days it's all new:  the MROP (marine radio operators permit) - short,
> and all regs requiring memorization, but quick and easy, the GROL (general
> radio operators license) which takes the place of  the old 2nd and first
> phone and is a lifetime license; the ship radar endorsement, not too rough,
> and the new GDMSS maintainer and operator (two tickets) with very long tests
> which invariably require study, needed for the current low-hf-vhf distress
> equipment.
> The AT test is no more.  When I got the 2nd CW it was 16 wpm code group,
> which of course was credit for General.  First CW needed a ship master's
> endorsement of 6 month(?) on-the-job experience before you could take the
> test.

At sea, not on land.

> I often considered trying commercial ship radio officer work for a bit - but
> never did anything about it - maybe my time as RT in USNavy was enough of
> that which pertains to boats.  K3TX

It was at sea as a second op.

A lot of the 1st CW requirements are pushed by the couple operator's
unions. And they prefer that you learn CW from them, to have the banana
boat swing they are accustomed to using. KC0MZ near here is one of those
and working FD hams don't answer his call because of that. When I call
they answer every time. Either of us using a straight key at a calm 23
to 25 wpm.

Today the shipboard position is more electronics officer than radio,
supplying and keeping the power to those containers that need power for
refrigeration, fixing the satellite equipment, radars, computers (for
internet access as well as engine and navigation controls), and crew
entertainment equipment. The captain no longer sends and receives
telegram styled messages, he pick up the satellite telephone handset and
calls the office and talks and listens. In the process, neglecting to
keep a paper trail of directions received.

73, Jerry, K0CQ