Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec 229 Tuner on 160M

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec 229 Tuner on 160M
From: John Huffman <hjohnc@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 13:35:43 -0500
Bob -

Bob (VUF), I agree with what Bob (TAX) says.

My dipole is fed with 100' of modified Ladder line.  I got tired of
re-tuning when it rained so I cut 2/3 of the webs out of the ladder
line.  Works great for me.

I have tried the MFJ Balanced tuner, auto-tuners, baluns, no balun, and
the Ten Tec 229.  What I kept was a balun outside my window (DX
Engineering 2:1) and 6 feet of RG8 from the balun to the tuner.  I kept
the Ten Tec 229.  T-matches seem to have lots more loss.  A nice L-match
works fine here.  The Ten Tec 229 (238, 238B, etc.) has a place on the
back to add capacitance for 160 meters.

So, ladder line to balun to tuner.  About the same as half the ham
population.

There are lots of opinions on how to get from the ladder line to the
radio.  I have tried them all and can't see a difference.  YMMV  :-)

73 de K1ESE
John

>>> John