Re: [TenTec] Orion Repaired and Back to V1.373b5

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Repaired and Back to V1.373b5
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:11:07 -0600
Bob - K4TAX said:
"On item that I've discovered with the current Omni  VII on the desk, thus I
no longer have the Orion II available, is that the RF Gain must be run
lower, actually much lower, than one would expect. "
It is certainly true that adjusting the RF Gain on the Orion is important to
optimize the
performance. On 20M with a tribander I reduce the RF gain quite a bit -  while
on
160M, with a K9AY Loop, I add a pre-amp in front of the Orion (Not required on
V1.373b5 due to the higher overall gain of that firmware over V2.062a). However,
I don't find that I am able to eliminate the "overdriven audio" sound by
changing the RF
Gain setting. There was a lot of "juggling" of gain levels in the V2 rewrite -
and as various
issues were addressed throughout the 8 production V2 firmware releases. It
seems that
may have left one or more of the internal gain levels incorrectly set. A
careful review/fix of
remaining issues with the V2 firmware would be most welcome by the Orion/Orion
II users.
Merle - W0EWM