Re: [TenTec] Triton IV with digital modes

To: KC2RVD@arrl.net,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Triton IV with digital modes
From: jim <jim@itristar.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:29:59 -0600
I question whether the Triton's stable enough for sliver narrow PSK, but it sounds like
you're driving the Triton so hard that the supply is nervously approaching the current limit
knee.
It might become unstable enough to cause frequency modulation of the transmitter. If there is a
radical DC instability, any dampening caps or voltage amplifier circuitry between the meter
and VSWR detector might be cycling and holding up enough voltage across the meter
coil to cause the erratic deflection.
If you are running the AFSK signal into the mic jack, set the drive up to the normal SSB mode
setting, then regulate the transmitter to about 25W by adjusting the COMPUTER audio level out.
If you can't get the computer audio level output down low enough to properly drive
the transmitter, you may have to stick a 10dB pad between the computer out and mic in,
as the computer level will often be significantly higher and too low an impedance than what
the transmitter would like to see to develop PEP. A 10:1 T-pad should take care of both, and
help produce distortion free AFSK sigs. Effective PSK RF power levels are typically between
QRP to 30W.
Jim WA9Z

Louis Ciotti (KC2RVD) wrote:
I have been using my Triton IV with PSK31 and RTTY over the past few weeks,
and occasionally something odd happens.

I tun up the radio/antenna for about 1:1 using the lock position. When I go
to transmit using rtty/psk31 I will get a very high SWR reading on the
Triton meter, and I get a weird buzzing noise coming from the 262G power
supply. I think the rig may be going into oscillation, but have no way to
verify this. Anyone else experience this?? I have been able to make some
digital contact with good signal reports, but it this is with the drive
turned way down.