Re: [TenTec] Bird Model 43 Slug For Sale

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Bird Model 43 Slug For Sale
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 11:43:13 -0600
On Thu, 2007-12-27 at 22:14 -0600, Donald L. Schliesser wrote:
> I have a Bird 5D (Silver Label) 5W  200-500 MHz slug for Sale.
> Perfect for Reverse Power (SWR) Adjustments.
> No dings or scratches - comes in protective plastic case.
> $45  includes shipping and Insurance CONUS.
>
> Please reply direct.  Donald, K6RV

Not necessarily perfect for reverse power adjustments. The directivity
of the element may mean the forward power is coupled to the diode, but
only 30 dB down if that much and that can confuse the reflected power
indication to get a cancellation only when the load isn't 50 ohms.
Beyond that the lack of perfect directivity can easily over drive the
element. And then the diode can go bad without even venting any smoke.

73, Jerry, K0CQ