Re: [TenTec] Orion 11 & 253 tuner

To: Ten-Tec Reflector <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 11 & 253 tuner
From: Rick Williams <ve7asr@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:45:22 -0800 (PST)
I use a 253 tuner with my Orion (565).  I interface
the Orion, 253 AND Hercules amp with a Ten-Tec Model
311 level converter.  Here's the description:

 "The Model 311 converts the open collector outputs of
the Orion to the active high inputs required by the
Model 253 and Model 420.  The output voltage per line
is approx. 13.5VDC and each line is capable of driving
loads requiring 40mA (each line is current limited to
40mA).  Each output uses an MMBT3906 transistor with a
breakdown voltage of 40VDC.  So it is important that
no more than 40VDC is ever applied to any of these
lines. Most applications would never require that DC
be applied to any of the pins anyway."

Other than that the 311 write up includes the pin-out
of the Orion and 253.  The 311 is still available but
not on the T-T website.  I believe cost is in the
vicinity of $80.

I hope this helps!

73,
Rick