Re: [TenTec] RFI from USB-to-serial adaptor cable

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RFI from USB-to-serial adaptor cable
From: Doug Smith <Doug@BlueSky.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 23:29:12 -0700
On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 18:58 -0800, Paul wrote:
> The question was - Why is serial port used instead of USB?
> ...snippage...
> So you see, going to USB is a bit more involved than the tried and
> true "write it once and be done with it" serial port.

I think rig control software ought to be using sockets (TCP/IP) as its
communication method.  The socket interface is very well documented and
relatively future proof (IP V6 arguments aside).  Certainly more future
proof than USB or firewire or the interface du'jour.  And, it's FAST.

Of course, there would have to be some method of setting the IP address
and port in the radio (or choosing to use DHCP) preferably from the
front panel -- but that wouldn't be a show stopper.

73,
-Doug, W7KF