Re: [TenTec] FYI Orion problem fix

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] FYI Orion problem fix
From: "Roy" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:20:33 -0600
In a message dated 1/15/2008 7:54:09 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
royanjoy@ncn.net writes:
  Screen went dark, panel indicators and meter lamps went very dim and
  receiver went dead. Had bottom cover off, exposing the power distribution
  board. Phoned T-T fast 'cause it was almost closing time. Paul immediately
  said he'd ship two caps for the distribution board, C6 & C7. They arrived
  4-days later, over the weekend, and my three year old O was running on the
  fourth day. No charge. Thanks, (St.) Paul.

  73,   Roy   K6XK

Roy;

Am curious to know what they shipped for C6, voltage-wise. This has been a
systemic problem that virtually will affect every Orion II made. There have
been probably 50 folks here that have had the problem and countless others
that have not been vocal about it.

Basically, C6 is undersized and and T-T has their head in the sand about the
problem and go out of their way not to admit a design/component selection
deficiency. They ship you new caps and you're happy with them. No problem,
right? NO.

You need at least a 25v cap there, not the 16v unit they had originally. I
put a 35v cap in mine.

If you run the radio any degree of time at all, and they had you replace the
16v unit with another 16v unit, you'll have another failure within 18
months.

Just trying to save you future grief. C7 isnt stressed nearly as much, so no
big concern there.

73, Bob K8IA

Hi Bob,

I didn't know the extent of the problem. And I do run the rig everyday, most
of the day. The replacement caps are physically bigger by 30-percent, with
the same lead spacing. They are rated 35 volts. Seems like T-T is trying to
address the situation. Thanks.

73,   Roy   K6XK/0