[TenTec] Amplifier Rules

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Amplifier Rules
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 11:55:38 -1000
Looking at the FCC part 97 rules, via the ARRL web site, I have answered
my own question>

>         §97.317 Standards for certification of external RF power
>         amplifiers.
>
> (a) To receive a grant of certification, the amplifier must:
>
>       (3) Exhibit no amplification (0 dB gain) between 26 MHz and 28 MHz.
>
> (b) Certification shall be denied when:
>
>       (1) The Commission determines the amplifier can be used in
>       services other than the Amateur Radio Service, or
>
>       (2) The amplifier can be easily modified to operate on
>       frequencies between 26 MHz and 28 MHz.

I assume that ARRL has the up to date part 97 stuff there.

I find 97.317 (b) (2) interesting. Any amplifier could be used in
services other than the Amateur Radio Service, such as MARS or other
point to point communications services with frequency allocations near
the ham bands, so by this rule, all amplifier certifications shall be
denied! Lets all hope that the FCC does not start enforcing these rule
more stringently than they do the part 15 rules regarding interference
to licensed services from unlicensed junk like BPL.

DE N6KB