Re: [TenTec] S. F. B. Morse III, W6FZZ on CW speed

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] S. F. B. Morse III, W6FZZ on CW speed
From: "Louis Ciotti" <lciotti@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:52:58 -0500
Yes Forward it along to me....

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces@contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Ronald C. McConnell
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:37 PM
To: Ten-Tec list
Cc: Ron McConnell
Subject: [TenTec] S. F. B. Morse III, W6FZZ on CW speed

S. F. B. Morse III, W6FZZ on CW speed

Friday, November 30, 2007 2:14 PM,
on the Ten-Tec list, I wrote,

> FYI, Samuel F. B. Morse III, W6FZZ,
> SFBM's grandson (not great- or great-great-grandson)
> was a FB Morse code champion at both the American Morse
> (actually Vail) and International codes at about 75 wpm.
> I see on QRZ.com that his license was renewed in June 1996
> and expired June 2006. There was
> some sort of update  to the QRZ page in March 2006.
> It shows an email address.  But he must be a SK by now.
> _Somewhere_safe_ I have a handwritten letter
> by SFBM III giving some tips on achieving speed
>at Morse Code.  It was sent to a mutual friend
> [Gil Gray] who gave it to me.
>Just gotta remember where "safe" is.

Well, "safe" turned out to be in my folder
of stuff about the APL-JHU's mobile automata
(a.k.a. robots) on which I worked in the early 1960s.
Why there?

I have scanned the letter, 2 1/4 pages and the envelope,
and run it through the OCR which worked remarkably well
with only a few minor edits needed to restore
the digital pages to agree with the paper versions.
I've sent it to John Molenda, KB2HUK
and Jim Hanlon, W8KGI
who expressed interest in a copy.
Jim mentioned putting it the Antique Wireless Assoc. Journal.
Anyone else?

Thetext file is 32KB in MS Word doc format.
The jpeg image file of the envelope is 220KB
and can no doubt be shrunk.
The jpeg page images are 1.5MB, 1.8MB and 570KB,
just FYI.

Cheers, 73,

Ron McC.
W2IOL

w2iol@arrl.net

Ronald C. McConnell, PhD

 WGS-84: N 40º 46' 57.9"  +/-0.1"
         W 74º 41' 21.3"  +/-0.1"
         FN20ps.77GU96 +/-
         V +5058  H +1504

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~rcmcc>

Old dogs can learn new tricks.
They just have trouble unlearning old ones.
- Robert J. Welborn