[TenTec] Samuel F. B. Morse III W^FZZ on improving code speed

To: "Ten-Tec list" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Samuel F. B. Morse III W^FZZ on improving code speed
From: "Ronald C. McConnell" <rcmcc@embarqmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:51:55 -0500
John DeGood, NU3E, has one of the sites now
with the S. F. B. Morse III W6FZZ code speed letter

  <http://degood.org/hamradio/samuel_fb_morse_iii/>.

John actually did the research on SFBM III
that I had good intentions of doing _before_ posting
the news about the letter uncovered during
my archeological dig through my files
for unrelated JHU-APL robot material.

Below is a slightly edited version of his note to me
and Nancy Kott, WZ8C of FISTS <http://www.fists.org/>.

John found this text with an image of a QSL from Sam:

  <http://www.geocities.com/w8jyz/W6FZZ.pdf>

        "Our card is W6FZZ the grandson of Samuel Finley Breeze Morse,
        [actually "BreeSe" from his mother's maiden name, rcmcc]
        one Samuel Finley Breeze Morse III -
        Born 26 July 1902, then Cherry Valley Ca.
        Now of Garden Grove, CA.
        Sam was/is a champion speed record holder with both
        American & International code at 75 Plus WPM.
        Sam was a long time CW opr on the bands
        and has not been heard from in a long time."

John also found a photo of this tribute plaque:

 <http://image26.webshots.com/27/7/84/72/372978472xDlwoF_fs.jpg>

        "He passed away here at our home just 7 weeks
        before his 97th birthday."

 And several other interesting photos:

  <http://rides.webshots.com/album/372975643wcGbwk>

John plans to add these links and any others
that turn up to his web site.

THANKS!

Cheers, 73,

Ron McC.
W2IOL

w2iol@arrl.net

Ronald C. McConnell, PhD

 WGS-84: N 40º 46' 57.9"  +/-0.1"
         W 74º 41' 21.3"  +/-0.1"
         FN20ps.77GU96 +/-
         V +5058  H +1504

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~rcmcc>
 (home of DOS great circle/ellipsoidal-geodesic programs)

There is no excuse for offering MS-DOS software any longer.
 -- K4IPV, "Carr's Corner," 73 Amateur Radio Today,
page 59, May 1997