Re: [TenTec] ORION II the right rig for SSB ?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION II the right rig for SSB ?
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 13:48:12 -0800
I agree with Merle that the sound of the processing is among the best out
there, but most operators notice that Orion's don't seem to drive a linear
as hard as most other rigs.  I looked at the waveform for quite some time on
a spectrum analyzer and I believe that the problem is due to instantaneous
and absolute ALC action (and possible over reaction) on even the most
fleeting peaks.  This results in a lower observed average output although
the peak output appears to be correct.  The lower average output probably
has little effect on the overall intelligibility of the signal or its
ability to bust through a pile-up, but this is an area that could use some
more study.

         Ron  N6IE
      www.N6IE.com