[TenTec] AGC Threshold Increments

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] AGC Threshold Increments
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:25:59 -0600
Kim (N5OP) said
"I found that the
increments of threshold adjustment get very coarse as the threshold
is increased."
Kim,
The jumps in the "threshold setting" are not as "course" as you
might think when you look at them in terms of dBm or S units.

7.22 uv       approx -90dBm    approx   S6
9.12 uv            "      -88dBm
11.26 uv          "      -86dBm          "        S7
14.73               "      -84dBm
21.28               "      -81dBm          "        S8
38.3                 "      -75dBm          "         S9
191uv              "      -62dBm          "         S9+10

Threshold limits the overall agin of the DSP section of the Orion -
independently of where the RF gain control is. I'm not sure if there
is a great value in having the adjustability of this limit much finer then it
is.
You also have control of the gain from the RF gain control (How that
works depends of the firmware release being used). I'm not aware of
a way to control the threshold level - itself - in finer increments.
73, Merle - W0EWM