Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus audio

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus audio
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 18:37:51 -1000
> Now I don't know why the higher bands are different on your rig.
> Wonder if you have an antenna problem?

If the SSB Receive (or transmit) audio sounds different on 10, 15, 20
meters than it does on 40, 75 meters, you should be comparing the sound
on USB versus LSB. Your SSB audio characteristic should not change at
all due to changing bands, other than because of the convention of using
USB above 9 MHz and LSB below 9 MHz. The audio characteristics also
should not change very much from USB to LSB. If it does change, that is
an indication that your BFO frequencies are misaligned for one or both
SSB modes. Another possibility, although not nearly as likely, is a
partially failed crystal filter with a non-symmetrical passband shape.
The first thing to do is check the BFO frequencies. If you install new
filters, of any brand, without getting the BFO frequencies right, you
will still have a problem.

DE N6KB