Re: [TenTec] Hercules II amp/p.s.

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hercules II amp/p.s.
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 09:54:25 -1000
Hi Ron,

The Hercules II amplifier is an excellent amplifier to pair up with an
Omni VI. The the two can be wired up for Omni VI band switching control
of the Hercules II too. (someday I'll get around to building the cable
to do that)

There are many options for the DC supply for the Hercules II. The most
straightforward, and perhaps best option is the 9420 power supply, which
will power the Hercules II and the Omni VI. The Hercules II has a front
facing speaker, so if you are using the 9420 power supply for both the
Omni VI and the Hercules, you don't need to have a 962 or other power
supply sitting there in order to have a matching Ten-Tec speaker.

Some of the other power supply options would be some of the larger rated
Astrons. Some people have used smaller DC supplies (not capable of the
full amplifier current requirement) in combination with a large storage
battery, such as a pair T306 6V deep cycle (golf cart) batteries. The
Hercules II has four separate 12 VDC supply and return wires on separate
connector pins. When using the 9420, each is supplied by a separate
regulated supply, each with it's own transformer. Four 25 or 30 amp
power supplies could supply these, instead of trying to find a single
100 amp supply.

I really like mine, and it is not for sale.

DE N6KB