[TenTec] Interfacing a MFJ 434B voice keyer to an Orion 2

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Interfacing a MFJ 434B voice keyer to an Orion 2
From: "Doug Turnbull" <turnbull@net1.ie>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 21:12:06 +0100
Has anyone interfaced the MFJ 434B Voice Keyer to the Orion 2?   If so I
would be grateful to know the MFJ internal jumper settings you used for the
Orion 2.      The ten volts output from pin two of the front mike connector
concerns me.   I do not use this voltage as my microphone is a TenTec 708 or
a Heil Proset Plus both of which are dynamic microphones.  The TenTec
grounding recommendations are also of concern.

This past weekend I used the voice memory in the Orion 2 for the CQ WPX
contest for the first time since purchasing the Orion 2 in August 2006.   It
is a great help for an OTs voice.   The disadvantage is that the send 3
button is very close to the user 1 button and twice I inadvertently hit user
1 causing the Orion to reset to another state - what a pain.   This is a
switch which one needs to hit without worry.   The SEND 3 switch is not
convenient on the front panel of the Orion 2 when the O2 is propped up to
give a better angle of view for the display screen.   I wonder if the remote
control pod would not be useful in this respect - any of you good people
have comments on this?

On occasion I found that my transmission was weak while using the Orion 2
Voice Memory and had to hit the button a second time to correct for this.
I was using the Orion 2 monitor function at a low level to monitor my voice
and so noticed this problem.   This was not a severe problem.   I used the
voice monitor because I am not yet comfortable with VOX and also find the
monitor helps me to keep my voice under some control in the contest
environment - a low voice level is all that is needed with the Proset Plus
boom mike.

The reason for wanting the voice keyer is that it will retain the voice
keyer memory when powered off  and also that it has a greater storage
facility.   Similarly I use an external GHD GK509 CW memory keyer because it
allows programming via a straight key, has greater memory capacity and sits
flat on the desk allowing easier finger tip operation.   I would appreciate
comments on the wiring of the MFJ voice keyer and also your experiences with
the internal voice memory capabilities of the O2.   Despite problems I was
grateful this past weekend for the facility.

                             73 Doug EI2CN