Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 64, Issue 6

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 64, Issue 6
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 13:01:50 EDT
The ameritron 811 and 811H are good amps for casual use.  but you get  what
you pay for.  for instance the power supply runs at 1600 v for the  plate.  it
uses four 400 volt capacitors in the HV power supply. so if one  of the
bleeder resistors get a little hot  then it will change value and  eventually
blow
the capacitor string.  this is a very common problem. there  is no extra head
room in the amp so it gets broken easily.

another comment on the 811/572 switch.  yes it will work and yes they  are
harder to blow up BUT you can buy 3 sets of 811 tubes for the price of one  set
of 572's.  if you go through 3 sets in a life time, you are doing  something
wrong.

so use these amps for causal work but don't expect them to hold up to 30
hours out of 48 in an rtty contest.  the meters will literally melt.   so for 6
or 700 bucks you got a half gallon amp.  I have had 4 or 5 in the  past along
with many others. my current stack is a IC 2-KL on the 746 pro, an  als 600 on
the Pegasus, and my favorite, an Alpha 87 a on the Orion.  a  beautiful thing.
 it is auto tune, autoband switch and full qsk and a ton  of self protection.
 you can key down at 1500 watts  with a brick on  the key all day and never
even break a sweat. ( I have seen 2300 watts into  a dummy load on a tune up
test.. so it loafs at legal limit)   .   so you do get what you pay for.