[TenTec] New generation ham's

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] New generation ham's
From: Marinus Loewensteijn <mjloewensteijn@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:28:01 +0000
Geoff

thanks for the response. Me thinks (without intending to offend anyone) that
technology is rapidly changing this world and if mankind does not watch out it
will be extinct in a short timeframe. There is far too much reliance on
technology and then it becomes "oops". We need to look only at what happened
during nature's havoc in New Orleans when Katrina hit.

It is my opinion that with the younger generation there is just not that amount
of self reliance / self discipline to get them to stick with anything. (except
wanting to be entertained and having something for free)

Same applies to ham radio. How many are able to do head copy? How many are able
to listen to a straight key? There are already a number of CW stations (not
operators) that if the code is not computer generated and exactly on frequency
then they cannot copy.

Recently there was a local ham lamenting how there are these "old fogies" who
"still hang on to their archaic gear" and cannot "work nicely on frequency"
because they have an analogue (and not digital) readout and their equipment
"drifts all over the place" .

If I was not plagued by arthritis I would use a straight key, as it is I am
using a paddle. Refuse to go to keyboard generated code, am already doing
enough typing. Might as well use the internet, for me using a keyboard is
taking the fun away. It is much like playing an instrument - how many young
people get involved in playing music on simple instruments? They all want
synthesizers etc. and in the end it all sounds the same.

Peace to all, 73, Marinus.