Re: [TenTec] Balun

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Balun
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 22:41:37 -0400
I don't think an inverted V is inherently better or worse in this regard.

The Coil type Balun right at the antenna will in fact choke off currents
from flowing at that point on down the outside of the coax.

If you are worried about currents picked up on the outside of the coax, and
carried on down to the rig, then I suppose you could also use a choke right
at the rig.  I'm not sure that this would be considered much of a problem
however.  The impedance would have to be extremely high, since the path to
ground between the two chokes would be very poor and thus also high
impedance.  In other words, I doubt it would be very effective in any case.

I'd suggest that current (picked up locally by being induced, not from the
lack of a choke at the antenna) flowing down the outside of the coax would
tend to go to ground at the rig anyway - assuming (and its a huge
assumption) that you have an effective RF ground at the rig.