Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 10 Meter Tune

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 10 Meter Tune
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 21:47:26 -0600
On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 17:23 -0700, Rich Hallman - N7TR wrote:
> I know this was discussed but couldn't find the past threads on this
> issue.  I noticed with a few of the Titan 425;s I have, on 10 meters the
> TUNE control is fully meshed when tuned for legal limit.
>
> Was there a mod to fix this so the TUNE is not at the full limits of the
> TUNE cap?
>
> Thanks..
>
> Rich N7TR
> ex KI3V, N3AMK, WB3JOV
> www.n7tr.com
> Telnet: dxc.n7tr.com N7TR DXCluster

Find a PA tube with a bit lower output capacitance. Or move the ten
meter tap on the coil a bit closer to the input of the Pi coil. You want
to use minimum C from the variable or as close to minimum as possible,
else the loaded Q of the PI gets unreasonably high which causes high
circulating current and more coil power loss and the high loaded Q also
makes tuning more critical and the working bandwidth narrower.

73, Jerry, K0CQ