Re: [TenTec] Coax connectors

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Coax connectors
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 22:08:37 -1000
Hi Marinus,

The male "UHF" connector is a PL-259 and the female is SO-239. At MF and
HF they are fine if they are quality versions and are installed
correctly and kept clean and dry. You see a lot of terminations (dummy
loads) with "N" connectors, because many of them are rated for much
higher frequencies than SO-235/PL-259 are very good for. They are
typically used as the load for reverse power on a circulator between a
transmitter and a filter cavity in a UHF or VHF transmitting system.
Professionals stay away from PL-259/SO-239 connectors. Good connectors
(BNC, N and others) are usually three or four times more expensive than
"UHF" connectors. If you are staying with smaller cable such as RG-58
and RG-59, BNC is a good choice. If you stay to power levels that can be
handled by RG-58, then BNC connectors will also handle it.

DE N6KB