[TenTec] Logic Board, inquiring minds want to know

To: "Ten Tec" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Logic Board, inquiring minds want to know
From: "RLBrannigan" <stan510@clearwire.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 08:51:58 -0400
I bought the radio, used, in Nov 1998 and had it checked out by Ten-Tec. All
OK. In August 1999 I had the display go out and sent the radio to
Sevierville. They said  "No problem found on display complaint" and
suggested a power supply problem. The Ten-Tec 961 and Pyramid 20A power
supplies each have sufficient voltage. In March 2001 I again returned the
radio for the same problem. It was returned "Unable to reproduce complaint."

This year I had the display go out again. After two trips, Paul finally
reproduced the display problem. His conclusion is that is the Logic Board
and they no longer stock the item. To do the detective work required to find
the problem, which I believe to be mechanical, i.e. bad solder joint,
defective cap etc. would take too many man hours and cost more than the
radio is worth.

No the radio has not been abused. Even though I live in Florida, the
lightning capitol of the world, the antenna is physically disconnected when
I am not operating. Mains AC is supplied via Two (2) ganged surge
suppressors. Additionally, please check out Jim Bobo post of  8 August 2005
wherein he states the Logic Board no longer available. That was 2.5 years
ago. I suppose had Ten-Tec repair diagnosed the problem correctly in 1999, I
would still be in business, but hindsight is always perfect.

Further commentary available OFF THE BOARD at W2EJG@ARRL.net. Save the
negative comments, I already have enough of a headache.