[TenTec] TenTec 228 - TenTec 229 ATU

To: Tentec list <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TenTec 228 - TenTec 229 ATU
From: Marinus Loewensteijn <zl2ml@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:40:14 +0800

The 228 uses a 42 position switch for switching the inductance, the 229 has a
roller inductor. When the power amplifier stage consisted of tubes the roller
inductor with its "infinite" adjustment was a very fine thing to have.
Another advantage that a roller inductor has is that the self capacitance is
very low which means a far higher self resonance for a given inductance.

I wonder if a roller inductor is still an optimum solution with semiconductor
output stages. I view a switch as self cleaning and a roller inductor imho as
requiring (little) maintenance to prevent arcing. Arcing (in my book) is a sign
of not making proper contact which means that the output stage is not properly
loaded and this is potentially damaging the semiconductors in the output stage.

Would the 228 with its T circuit and switched inductor be a better (
mechanically, contact wise )  solution than the 229 with a roller inductor? Or
am I missing something here?

PS This is not to replace my S-Match for balanced output ( twincom / open wire
),  purely interested in driving a (unbalanced) coax system ( some phased
verticals ).

Thanks for your input, 73, Marinus, ZL2ML