[TenTec] 238 Tuner Dial cord

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 238 Tuner Dial cord
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 19:36:48 -1000
Hi all,

I recently received from Ten-Tec a new dial cord and elastic stretch
cord for my 238 tuner. An instruction sheet came with the parts, which
differs somewhat from the DIAL-STRING ROUTING DIAGRAM in the manual for
the 238.

The most significant difference is that the new instructions show a
"single pulley" at the upper right hand corner stand-off. This is a
great idea. I am sure the elastic cord will work much better running
around a pulley versus just being dragged around the stand-off.

The problem is that my 238 has not had one of these pulleys as long as I
have owned it, and the manual does not indicate that it was original
equipment. Ten-Tec did not send me a pulley. I did not ask for one when
I placed the order, since I didn't know there was such a pulley. It
seems like there ought to be one on the lower right stand-off too.

There are a few other differences on the instruction sheet. It shows
"brass stand-off" in a couple of places where it looks like aluminum on
my 238. The elastic cord gets tied to the SWR SET potentiometer shaft
instead of to the lower left hand standoff.

I wonder how many versions of the dial cord string routing there have
been over the years? I know they have abandoned that method altogether
in the newer tuners. And some people have made their own modifications
using a spring instead of the elastic cord.

I guess my 238 will not be back in service until another care package
comes from Ten-Tec.

DE N6KB