Re: [TenTec] Need more help on RIT/XIT

To: tentec-list <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Need more help on RIT/XIT
From: Martin Ewing AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 13:20:40 -0400
This discussion is fascinating.  I hope it leads to a definitive fix.

My Orion gets into the stuck RIT mode fairly often, but I (almost?)
always find that it goes away if I grasp the RIT encoder knob and pull
firmly outward.  Others have reported this, and it naturally leads you
to think about a bad encoder or solder joint.  But possibly I am flexing
the board to jostle the connector just enough to clear the tin/tin oxide
barrier - if that's what it is.

A permanent fix might be to add some bias current to the appropriate
circuit path - a milliamp, maybe.  Or get a cable with gold plated
connectors.  (Or put in a cell phone vibrator to loosen things up on
command? :-)

73
Martin

--